Avocados are well-known for their huge health benefits. They are among the fruits with the most amount of monounsaturated fat and have a high density of nutrients with around 20 vitamins and minerals.
A number of studies have associated avocado with decreased risks of obesity, heart disease, and diabetes, and enhanced health.
The following is an exposé of the benefits of avocado consumption:-
- It helps maintain blood cholesterol level under the normal range because it contains the natural plant sterol called beta-sitosterol that is known for its activity on cholesterol.
- The avocado also contain antioxidants that are essential for the eyes, namely lutein and zeaxanthin. It has been linked with decreased risk of the condition known as macular degeneration.
- Full of vitamin K, the fruit is also beneficial for the bones. Vitamin K enhances calcium absorption while decreasing calcium excretion, thereby providing protection to bones.
- Thanks to its folate content, it might potentially protect from cancer given that low folate concentrations are linked with higher breast cancer risk.
- Furthermore, folate is deemed beneficial for pregnant women to avoid miscarriages and neural tube defects.
- Folate-rich foods are also associated with lower risk of developing depression. It protects from an accumulation of homocysteine which can interfere with the synthesis of hormones protecting from depression like serotonin and dopamine.
- Furthermore, research has shown that avocados are soothing to the digestive tract and prevent constipation.